Texas CPS Lawyer Serving Denton, Lewisville, Sanger, Ponder, Carrollton, Corinth, Frisco, Flower Mound, Aubrey, Oak Point, Pilot Point, Little Elm, Lake Dallas, and The Colony, Texas.

If you have been contacted by Child Protective Services (CPS) of Texas, or if CPS has taken your child, you probably feel lost and scared, and you probably have a number of questions racing through your mind. Likewise, if a grandchild, younger sibling, niece, or nephew has been taken into protective custody by the State of Texas, you probably feel the need to take action to help your family member, but may not know where to turn.

At Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C., we have helped many parents regain custody of their children, and we have represented numerous family members in custody (conservatorship) and adoption proceedings to keep their loved ones out of foster care. In cases involving Texas CPS, you need to act quickly and it is best to have a knowledgeable and experienced Texas CPS attorney on your side.

Seeking to Regain Custody of Your Child from Texas Child Protective Services

Texas CPS gets involved when it receives allegations that a child is being subjected to:

  • Lack of appropriate adult supervision
  • Physical or emotional neglect
  • Physical or emotional child abuse
  • Child sexual abuse or molestation
  • Drug or alcohol abuse in the home

Allegations of abuse and/or neglect may come from teachers, social workers, medical personnel, neighbors, former spouses, friends, or other family members. While most people who file reports with CPS are well-meaning, they often do not realize how traumatic it is for a parent or family member to see a child removed from his or her home, and how much effort it will take to get a child back.  Sometimes, the allegations are unfounded or overstated.  Other times, the allegations are serious and require extensive investigation.  CPS has a set of standards that they must follow, and parents who face CPS are often surprised by the number of requirements that the parents have to meet to get their children back.

If you have been contacted by CPS, or if CPS has taken your child away from you, you should consult with an experienced Texas CPS lawyer about your case immediately. Texas CPS takes its role very seriously, and you are likely in for a fight. The sooner we get involved, the sooner we can help you regain custody of your child.

Fighting Possible Termination of Parental Rights After Your Child is Taken by CPS or How To Achieve Family Reunification

In order to regain custody of a child taken by CPS, you have to demonstrate that you have taken the required steps to address any substantiated allegations of abuse or neglect. There is a service plan that you have to acknowledge, sign, and follow.  You will also have to make court appearances while working your CPS service plan, meet with your caseworker, meet with your counselors and other professionals, attend parenting classes, and submit to a drug and alcohol assessment, and submit to random drug testing.

It takes a village to raise a child.  This truism applies in CPS cases as well.  You will be astonished by the number of people who are involved in your CPS case, and will have questions why there are so many people contacting you.  Additionally, you will have to be mentally and emotionally prepared to divulge your most personal information to these professionals or the court during the course of your CPS case.

CPS cases take anywhere between 12 to 18 months to resolve...sometimes even longer.  The length of the case, the requirements of the service plan, and the disruptions into your weekly schedule and your life will be daunting.  

If you do not comply with your service plan or fail to meet other court orders, the State of Texas has the power to terminate your parental rights and place your child in foster care, where this child will become eligible for adoption. As a result, if you are facing possible loss of parental rights in Texas, you need to act quickly.  At Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C., we can help you exhaust all available options for seeking to maintain your parental rights.

Grandparents and Other Relatives Seeking Custody from CPS

If a child in your family has been victimized by abuse or neglect and placed in the custody of CPS, our Texas CPS lawyer can help you obtain custody (conservatorship) or seek to adopt your loved one instead of allowing him or her to go into foster care. This is a time-sensitive matter both in terms of the legal process and the best interests of the child. Contact us today to see how we can help.

Free Consultation with a Denton County CPS Attorney

To schedule a free consultation with a Texas CPS lawyer at Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C., contact us today.  We serve clients in Denton, Corinth, Little Elm, Sanger, Ponder, Cross Roads, Pilot Point, Oak Point, Frisco, Aubrey, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, The Colony, and surrounding areas.

Have Questions About Family Law?


The majority of people who initiate divorce, child custody, and enforcement of court orders in family law proceedings don't know what to expect. If you have questions about these legal processes, contact us today.

9.5Helene Gay Parker

1012 W. Eldorado Parkway, No. 392
Little Elm, TX 75068
972-315-3180 (fax)
Fri: 09:00am - 02:00pm
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu: 09:00am - 04:00pm