Child Support Attorney Serving Denton, Carrollton, The Colony, Lewisville, and Flower Mound

Like conservatorship (child custody) and visitation rights, Texas child support obligations are imposed by order of the court. As a result, if you need to modify or enforce your Texas child support court orders or defend against a modification or enforcement action, you should hire an attorney to take you through the formal legal process.

At Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C., we are experienced and compassionate Lewisville child support attorneys. We pride ourselves on keeping our clients informed, explaining their options, and providing thorough representation of their interests in court.

Modification of Texas Child Support Orders

Texas child support orders can be modified under the following conditions:

  • There has been a substantial change in circumstances (typically, the employment status of the parent paying child support) since the entry of the last child support order; or
  • It has been 3 or more years since the last order was entered, and the monthly amount of the child support would change by 20% or $100.00, whichever is larger.

An informal agreement between the child's parents is not adequate to modify a parent's child support obligation. Child support obligations are imposed court order, and failure to adhere to a court order may result in a finding of contempt by the court.  

As a result, if you need to seek modification of a Texas child support order, you should hire an experienced Lewisville child support lawyer who can present your case to the appropriate court to obtain a binding legal modification.

Lewisville Child Support Attorney for Child Support Enforcement

If your former spouse or companion is not meeting his or her child support obligations, the proper course of action is to seek enforcement by the appropriate Texas court. The issues of visitation and child support are not linked.  In other words, you should not deny visitation to other parent or interfere with his or her conservatorship rights.  In Texas, child support, visitation, and custody rights are all independent of one another, so your denial of visitation or possession will be a violation of the court order, even if you have not received the child support to which you are entitled.

Enforcement mechanisms and other remedies are available when an obligor fails to pay child support, such as:

  • Garnishment of wages
  • Probation (formal or pro forma)
  • Incarceration
  • Loss of professional license(s)
  • Loss of driver's license(s)
  • Passport restrictions

In Texas, an obligor who continually fails to pay child support will face jail time, payment of interest on past due child support, and attorney fees and costs to the obligee who brings the enforcement action.  There are certain defenses to not paying child support, but they are limited, and the courts will look closely at the defenses to determine their legitimacy.

The Lewisville child support lawyer at Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C. have more than 20 years of experience helping custodial parents enforce child support obligations or assisting parents who are unable to meet their child support obligations.

Free Consultation with a Lewisville Child Support Attorney

If you need to seek modification of your Texas child support obligations, or if you need to enforce a child support obligation, contact Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C. today to schedule a free consultation with Ms. Parker about your case. We serve clients in Denton, Carrolton, The Colony, Lewisville, Flower Mound, and surrounding areas.

Have Questions About Family Law?

Istock 826925704 1 compressor1

The majority of people who initiate divorce, child custody, and enforcement of court orders in family law proceedings don't know what to expect. If you have questions about these legal processes, contact us today.

9.5Helene Gay Parker

860 Hebron Parkway, Suite 303
Lewisville, TX 75057
972-315-3180 (fax)
Fri: 09:00am - 02:00pm
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu: 09:00am - 04:00pm