Hague Convention Lawyer for International Child Abduction Cases

Cases involving international child abductions to or from the United States to and from other countries worldwide are governed by the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (the “Hague Convention”). If a former spouse or partner has taken your child to another country, or if you brought a child into the United States who is not lawfully in your custody, you need to act quickly and deliberately to maintain your best possible chances for obtaining the safe return and/or permanent custody of your child.

Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C. is one of the few Texas law firms experienced in handling cases involving international child abductions. To get started with your Texas international child abduction case right away, contact us now to schedule your free consultation.

Hague Convention Lawyer for Parents Seeking to Regain Custody of Abducted Children

We have experience dealing with a parent who decides to move to a different country, whether it is their country of origin or a place to try and have a fresh start. It also is not unusual for that parent to take the child(ren) to that new location – regardless whether he or she has lawful custody and the right to do so.

If a former spouse or partner has left the United States with your child, you need to act quickly in order to achieve your child's safe return under the Hague Convention. Even under the best circumstances, it will be a minimum of several months before you are likely to see your children. With Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C., you will work one-on-one with an experienced Hague Convention attorney who can advise and represent you, such as helping you navigate the paperwork required by the State Department, file necessary pleadings with the appropriate federal or state court, communicate with the State Department and foreign authorities, and pursue necessary temporary court orders to compel the return of your child as soon as possible.

Texas Hague Convention Lawyer for Parents Seeking to Maintain Custody in the United States

If you brought your children to the United States in violation of a former spouse's or partner's custody rights, in order to keep them here you will need to establish a valid defense under the Hague Convention. Possible defenses may include:

  • Your children are age 16 or older
  • Your children have established “habitual residence” in the United States
  • Your children's other parent consented to the relocation
  • Your children were abused or at risk prior to the relocation

At Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C., we will work with you to understand the facts of your case, research and prepare any available defenses, and then present those defenses to the appropriate tribunal.

Contact a Texas Hague Convention Lawyer

International child abduction cases are serious, complex, and extremely time-sensitive. To discuss your case with an experienced Texas Hague Convention lawyer, contact Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C. today.

A common misconception about Hague Convention cases is the issue of custody.  Hague Convention cases are never about custody.  It is about which court has jurisdiction. 

The Hague Convention applies only in cases involving international abductions that effectively amount to disputes over which jurisdiction has the right to make child custody decisions for your child. If your child has been abducted by a stranger, you should seek the immediate assistance of federal law enforcement.

Have Questions About Family Law?


The majority of people who initiate divorce, child custody, and enforcement of court orders in family law proceedings don't know what to expect. If you have questions about these legal processes, contact us today.

9.5Helene Gay Parker

1012 W. Eldorado Parkway, No. 392
Little Elm, TX 75068
972-315-3180 (fax)
Fri: 09:00am - 02:00pm
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu: 09:00am - 04:00pm