Visitation Agreement Lawyer and Visitation Rights Attorney Serving Denton, Lewisville, Sanger, Ponder, Carrollton, Corinth, Frisco, Flower Mound, Aubrey, Oak Point, Pilot Point, Little Elm, Lake Dallas, and The Colony, Texas.

In connection with divorce, paternity, or child custody (conservatorship) proceedings, non-custodial parents are entitled to seek visitation rights to spend time with their children. Texas law permits parents to negotiate agreements regarding custody and visitation rights. If the parents fail to reach an agreement, the courts will establish a visitation plan that serves the best interest of the child.

At Helene Parker & Associates, L.L.C., we assist parents in negotiating visitation agreements through informal settlement conference and/or mediation. When negotiation fails, we vigorously represent our clients in court to establish that their desired visitation plans are in the best interest of their children. Finally, when circumstances change, we also represent our clients to seek modification of existing visitation agreements.

Texas Visitation Agreements

Texas laws governing visitation (referred to as “possession or access”) permit parents to enter into an “agreed parenting plan” that grants specified visitation rights to the non-custodial parent or parents who share equal time. When attempting to negotiate an agreed parenting plan, it is best to be represented by knowledgeable attorney who can ensure that all relevant issues are addressed, and that the parent has weighed all available options before consenting to a final parenting plan. In many cases, it is advisable to hire an experienced Texas family law mediator who can help the parents reach common ground.

Even when the parents are able to reach an agreement, their agreed parenting plan must have court approval. The court has the option to either adopt the agreed parenting plan in full, or impose alternatives that it considers to be in the best interest of the child. Sensitive to the costs and stress involved in dealing with child custody and visitation rights, Helene Parker can help you prepare and present an agreed parenting plan that is likely to be upheld by the court presiding over your case.

Texas Visitation Disputes and Visitation Court Orders

If the parents are not able to enter into a visitation agreement, they will need to submit their dispute to the Court for a judicial determination. As noted above, the Texas courts grant or deny visitation rights based upon the best interest of the child.  Ms. Parker can help you build the strongest possible case for your desired visitation rights by collecting and presenting evidence to establish that your proposed visitation plan is in the best interest of the child.

Modification of Texas Visitation Orders

Like conservatorship (child custody) orders, Texas visitation orders can be modified if warranted by a substantial change in circumstances affecting the best interest of the child. To discuss seeking modification of an existing visitation order, contact us today.

Visitation Rights when Child Support Is Not Paid

Visitation rights are independent of child support obligations; one is not conditioned upon the other.  This means that if you fall behind on child support, you are still entitled to visit your children pursuant to the court's visitation order. Conversely, if your former spouse or partner is not paying child support as ordered, you must still respect his or her visitation rights. If supported by facts and evidence, we can assist you in getting an emergency restraining or protective order, a modified child support or visitation order, or an enforcement order to protect your child's interest and enforce your legal rights.

Speak with an Experienced Denton County Visitation Rights Lawyer

To learn more about your options for obtaining visitation rights in Texas, schedule a free consultation Ms. Parker.  We serve clients in Denton, Corinth, Little Elm, Sanger, Ponder, Cross Roads, Pilot Point, Oak Point, Frisco, Aubrey, Carrollton, Lewisville, Flower Mound, The Colony, and surrounding areas.

Have Questions About Family Law?


The majority of people who initiate divorce, child custody, and enforcement of court orders in family law proceedings don't know what to expect. If you have questions about these legal processes, contact us today.

9.5Helene Gay Parker

1012 W. Eldorado Parkway, No. 392
Little Elm, TX 75068
972-315-3180 (fax)
Fri: 09:00am - 02:00pm
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu: 09:00am - 04:00pm